Hidden features in Oxygen (that you likely don't know about)
I made a list with a couple of hidden features that I find useful when working with Oxygen. If you have other suggestions, features that you use very often, we will be happy if you share them with us.
- Quick find toolbar
A reduced version of the Find / Replace dialog is available as a toolbar, displayed at the bottom of the Oxygen window. Press Alt + Shift + F to display it, and ESC to close it and give the focus in editor.
- Wrap/unwrap selected text in an element
To wrap some text in an element use Surround with Tags(Ctrl+E) action. To unwrap just delete the start tag or the end tag, or use the Delete Element Tags(Alt+Shift+X) action.
- Context Sensitive Help/Dynamic Help View
- Ctrl+Click Navigation
By holding down Ctrl (CMD on Mac) in the Text editing mode some components become links that you can follow to get to the definition of those components. For example, in an XML document, an element name becomes a link to that element definition in the associated schema or DTD. In an XSL stylesheet, a variable reference becomes a link to that variable definition, and so on.
- Component dependencies
- Learn structureWhen working with documents that do not specify a schema, or for which the schema is not known or does not exist, Oxygen is able to learn and translate the document structure to a DTD.
- Modify all matches
Allows you to easily modify the occurrences of the text found through executing a find operation or an XPath expression. When you use this action, a thin rectangle replaces the highlights and lets you start editing.
- Layout specific for each project
If you work on multiple projects or multiple XML vocabularies, you can choose to keep a separate layout for each project. Thus when you move between projects you get not only the last opened files specific to that project restored but also the exact layout of views, editors and toolbars.. Enable Options->Preferences-> Perspectives Layout, the "Remember layout changes for each project" option and then Oxygen will remember the exact layout for each project.
- Memory statusEnable "Show memory status" option to view the memory Oxygen XML Editor uses. To free memory, click the Run Garbage Collector button located in the bottom right corner of the screen. The memory status bar has a light blue background which turns yellow or red when Oxygen XML Editor uses too much memory.
- Show/Hide Element Names in Outline ViewYou are able to control the visibility of the element names in the Outline View. Hiding element names allows you to focus more on the document content.
- XML Master Files support